10.12.2011

squash risotto in a slow cooker



I made squash risotto in a slow cooker with my homegrown squashes.  I've never really used Crockpots, but I was inspired to try one out after seeing in the awesome recipes in the The Slow Cook Book.  This is the easiest method for making risotto I've tried.  You add all the ingredients and let it sit 3 hours, eliminating the time spent over the stove stirring and adding water.  The recipie I used was based on the one on pg 318, I just omitted the meat.



Squash Risotto in a slow cooker
serves 4

2T butter
2T olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
salt and fresh ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 springs thyme (I used a T or so of fresh parsley, rosemary, oregano, and sage.)
1 C white wine ( I used a dash of port.)
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2" cubes ( I used a small butternut and acorn.)
1C arborio rice or carnaroli rice
2C hot vegetable stock (I ended up needing 3 or 4.)
1.5C grated pecorino cheese (I used parmesan).

Preheat slow cooker.  Saute onion in olive oil and butter until soft.  add salt, pepper, garlic, squash, and herbs and saute another 5 min.  stir in arborio rice to mixture and combine until everything is coated. transfer to slow cooker and add stock.  cook on low heat for 1.5-2 hours.  you might need to stir halfway through cooking time or add stock.  (I left mine cooking for 3.5-4)  Add the cheese, stir in, and serve.  This recipe would have been better doubled. (I like to have lots of leftovers).

No comments:

Post a Comment