10.03.2011

saving heirloom tomato seeds

all stuff from my garden!!  awesome!

I grew heirloom tomatoes this summer- Purple Cherokee, Orange Blossom, Yellow Pear, Green Zebra, Pineapple. To save seeds for next year, I'm trying out this method-  1. Cut the tomato in half, squeeze out the seeds into a cup, and add water.  2. Cover the cup and allow the liquid to ferment for 2 to 4 days.  The fermentation breaks down the seeds' jelly coats and also helps them become viable by mimicking natural processes.  In a few days strain and rinse the seeds and dry them on paper towels for storage.  



For Oregon gardeners, I'd recommened the Orange Blossom and Yellow Pear varities.  I had the most success with them as they matured the earliest.  The Orange Blossoms especially were super tasty.  The Green Zebras must have cross pollinated with another variety last summer.  They don't taste very good or look like a normal Green Zebra.  I've been making them into salsa with lots of garlic, chile, cilantro, and parsley, and they're ok then. 

I also grew zucchini, cucumbers, Cherry Bomb peppers, tomatillos, New Mexico chilies, cauliflower (which I had to throw out because it was full of bugs), lettuce, swiss chard, arugula, strawberries, raspberries, butternut squash, basil, oregano, and parsley.  It's been a good summer for my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment