1.25.2012

Pendleton crochet scrap wool rag rugs



I made two rugs last winter out of Pendleton wool scraps.  They sell them for $1/lb at The Mill Store.  It measures 50" X 60".  I made a chain the length of the rug and then added rows in single crochet.  I haven't gotten around yet to weaving in all of the ends.  Next time I'd like to machine sew the strips together to make a continuous ball, and then it would be smoother without the knots and ends sticking out, and faster work as I won't have any knots to tie as I go.  That aside I am very happy with it.  It makes an awesome rug for our room.  It's really thick, and I love the jumble of colors.  It has held up well for the past year and half, though I would probably not recommend making one of these for any high traffic/ dirt areas of the house.  Does anyone have any experience machine washing these?  I think remember someone at the store saying they can be felted.  Has anyone tried that?
    


 

The brick red one above, I made as a wedding gift for a friend.  It is a single crochet circle about 36" across.  To get the circle shape, I loosely followed the pattern below. 

Circle Rug:
Chain 4 and join with a sl stich in the first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: CH1, 8sc in ring.
Round 2: 2sc in ea sc. 16sc
Round 3: 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc. 24sc
Round 4: 1 sc in each sc
5: Rep round 3. 36sc
6: Rep round 4
7: 1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc. 48sc
8: Rep round 4.  
9: 1 sc in ea of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc. 60sc
10: Rep round 4
11: 1 sc in each the first 2sc, 2 sc in next sc, *1sc in each of the next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from *, ending with 1 sc in each of the lst 2 sc. 72 sc

Continue on in this way, adding 12sc every other round by working one more stitch between increases.




I have a small rectangle rug made out of these same red scraps for sale here at my Etsy page.


5 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm curious as to how much money it costs to make one of these rugs. Obviously, it would depend in the size of the rug, but could you please share any estimates you might have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8lb bag will do a small rug

      Delete
    2. Current 2019 price is $1.88/lb

      Delete
    3. I probably have over 50 pounds of the beautiful balls of various vibrant colors of the Pendleton wool remnants. I would like to find someone to make me a big rug out of some of it and then they can have the rest. Know any that could do this for me

      Delete
  2. How do you get the knot to start the rug?? I wish a tutorial would show that!!

    ReplyDelete