1.25.2012

Pendleton crochet scrap wool rag rugs



I made two rugs last winter out of Pendleton wool scraps.  They sell them for $1/lb at The Mill Store.  It measures 50" X 60".  I made a chain the length of the rug and then added rows in single crochet.  I haven't gotten around yet to weaving in all of the ends.  Next time I'd like to machine sew the strips together to make a continuous ball, and then it would be smoother without the knots and ends sticking out, and faster work as I won't have any knots to tie as I go.  That aside I am very happy with it.  It makes an awesome rug for our room.  It's really thick, and I love the jumble of colors.  It has held up well for the past year and half, though I would probably not recommend making one of these for any high traffic/ dirt areas of the house.  Does anyone have any experience machine washing these?  I think remember someone at the store saying they can be felted.  Has anyone tried that?
    


 

The brick red one above, I made as a wedding gift for a friend.  It is a single crochet circle about 36" across.  To get the circle shape, I loosely followed the pattern below. 

Circle Rug:
Chain 4 and join with a sl stich in the first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: CH1, 8sc in ring.
Round 2: 2sc in ea sc. 16sc
Round 3: 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc. 24sc
Round 4: 1 sc in each sc
5: Rep round 3. 36sc
6: Rep round 4
7: 1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc. 48sc
8: Rep round 4.  
9: 1 sc in ea of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc. 60sc
10: Rep round 4
11: 1 sc in each the first 2sc, 2 sc in next sc, *1sc in each of the next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from *, ending with 1 sc in each of the lst 2 sc. 72 sc

Continue on in this way, adding 12sc every other round by working one more stitch between increases.




I have a small rectangle rug made out of these same red scraps for sale here at my Etsy page.


No comments:

Post a Comment