4.29.2012

Red Lentil Soup with Lime


I made this very delicious curry soup from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.  It takes only half an hour to make. 

Red Lentil Soup with Lime

2 C split red lentils, rinsed several times
1 T turmeric
4 T butter
salt
1 large onion
2 t ground cumin
1.5 t mustard seeds
1 bunch chopped cilantro, about 1 C
juice of 3 limes
1 bunch large spinach leaves, chopped into small pieces
1 C cooked rice
4 to 6 T yogurt

Simmer lentils covered with 2.5 quarts water, turmeric, and 1T of the butter for about 20 min until soft.  While simmering cook the onion in 2 T butter with cumin and mustard, when soft after about 15 minutes add the cilantro and cook for 1 min.  Add to soup and add lime juice.

I doubled the recipe, and the leftovers froze very well.  I garnished with rice, parsley, plain yogurt, and nettles instead of spinach.  I used whole cumin and mustard seeds and ground them myself in my molcajete.  I might try adding only a half tablespoon salt next time.  The turmeric seems to enhance the saltiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment